The Person God Uses
Passage: Judges 6–7
The Gospel Story
The Person God Uses
God specializes in doing extraordinary things through ordinary people!
Background: Judges 6:1-6
The Person God Uses Is A:
- A Called Person (6:11-16)
God sees us as we Are and as we Can Be
- A Person of Courage (6:25-27)
Courage to begin with Himself (Begin in your own backyard)
Satan will fight us with Fear when he cannot fight us with anything else
Courage is Contagious (Joash – 6:29-32)
- A Person of Commitment (7:1-8)
God is not interested in mere Joiners
God sifted those who were:
- A Person of Confidence (7:9-15)
God is not looking for Superstars (Barley loaf)
Gideon’s confidence was in God, not in himself (14-15)
All men are ordinary men; the extraordinary men are those who know it. G. K. Chesterton
- A Person of Compliance (7:16-23)
God will use people whose lives are marked by Obedience
Light will not shine out until the jars are Broken
The world tends to Throw Away broken things
God Uses broken things
The Gospel Connection
The gospel produces two fruits in you that no other religious or spiritual truth can produce:
Without the gospel these fruits are replaced with counterfeits:
At the cross of Jesus, the counterfeits are destroyed and replaced with genuine humility and confidence!
Making It Personal:
- Is today the day for you to turn from self-rule and self-righteousness and trust in Jesus Christ to be the forgiver of your sin and the leader of your life?
- Of the qualities mentioned above of the person God uses, which truths do you most need to reflect on? Which qualities do you sense that you need to focus on as you ask God to continue to build this quality in your life?
- Do you naturally tend more toward shame or arrogance? How can keeping the gospel central in your heart and mind help you to move beyond this? How will you practically do this in the days ahead?
- What is your next step of obedience to God today?
Ready to take your Next Step?
- See Pastor Jeff after the service today
- Fill out a Connect Card and drop it in the offering box
- Text Next to 803-637-8484
- Go to FBCFM.COM and click “Next Steps”