The God Who Is
Passage: Exodus 3:1–15
The Gospel Story
The God Who Is
“What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us… We tend by a secret law of the soul to move toward our mental image of God. This is true not only of the individual Christian, but of the company of Christians that composes the Church. Always the most revealing thing about the Church is her idea of God.” A. W. Tozer
God revealed Himself to Moses as Yahweh or Jehovah
This name for God is found over 6,000 times in the Bible
This name comes from the root verb “to be”
God Revealed As Yahweh Is:
“Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand and marked off the heavens with a span, enclosed the dust of the earth in a measure and weighed the mountains in scales and the hills in a balance? Who has measured the Spirit of the Lord, or what man shows him his counsel?"(Isaiah 40:12–13, ESV)
God has no limits, boundaries, or end
“In the beginning, God...” (Genesis 1:1, ESV)
God is not bound by the dimensions of Time and Space
“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.” (Revelation 1:8, ESV)
God is dependent on Nothing outside of Himself
“Then he said, “Do not come near; take your sandals off your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground.”” (Exodus 3:5, ESV)
Holiness includes the idea of purity, but holiness is primarily about God’s Transcendence
Because God Is “Yahweh” I Can:
- Count On His Knowledge
God’s Directions are always right
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.” (Proverbs 3:5–6, ESV)
- Depend On His Power
“‘Ah, Lord God! It is you who have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and by your outstretched arm! Nothing is too hard for you.” (Jeremiah 32:17, ESV)
God can enable you to Accomplish His will
Moses: Exodus 3:11 – Wrong Question!
- Trust In His Love
“the Lord appeared to him from far away. I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you.” (Jeremiah 31:3, ESV)
God’s Will is always best!
- Reflect His Holiness
“As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, 'You shall be holy, for I am holy.'” (1 Peter 1:14–16, ESV)
God can enable you to live Separated from sin and unto Him
God is not just the God of the past – He desires to be the God of your present and of your future!!
Making It Personal:
- Are there some false beliefs that you have had about God that need to be replaced with God’s truth?
- Where in your life right now do you need to seek and follow God’s directions?
- Where in your life do you need to trust in God’s power to do in you and through you that you cannot do on your own?
- Where in your life are you finding it difficult to trust in God’s love? What can you do to remind yourself and reflect on the love of God for you?
- Is there any area of your life (thoughts, attitudes, words, actions) where God is calling you to separate from sin and live holy unto Him? Will your repent of your sin and ask for His forgiveness and enabling power to walk in ways that are pleasing to Him?
- What assignment might God have for your life right now? What is your next step of obedience to God today?