Grace that Restores
Passage: Mark 14:27–:72
Grace That Restores
(To download and print blank sermon notes to complete while you listen, click HERE.)
No relationship ever stays the same – we are either growing closer or we are drifting apart.
What Causes Believers to Drift Away?
1. Pride (29)
2. An Unguarded Heart (37-38)
3. Fear (54a)
4. Comfort/Convenience (54b)
Q: What Is God’s Response to Our Drifting?
A: Restoring Grace
“Restore us to yourself, O LORD, that we may be restored! Renew our days as of old” (Lamentations 5:21)
“But go, tell his disciples and Peter that he is going before you to Galilee. There you will see him, just as he told you.” (Mark 16:7)
“The Lord has risen indeed, and has appeared to Simon!” (Luke 24:34)
“and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve.” (1 Corinthians 15:5)
“When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, 'Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?' He said to him, 'Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.' He said to him, 'Feed my lambs.' He said to him a second time, 'Simon, son of John, do you love me?' He said to him, 'Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.' He said to him, 'Tend my sheep.' He said to him the third time, 'Simon, son of John, do you love me?' Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, 'Do you love me?' and he said to him, 'Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.' Jesus said to him, 'Feed my sheep.'" (John 21:15–17)
Why Doesn’t God Reject Believers When We Sin?
1. Because His Love Is Unconditional
“The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” (Lamentations 3:22–23)
2. Because Salvation Is Not Based On My Performance
“he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy,” (Titus 3:5a)
3. Because Jesus Has Already Taken My Punishment
“He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.” (1 John 2:2)
4. Because Jesus Understands My Human Weakness
“For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.” (Hebrews 4:15)
Some Important Distinctions
“There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” (Romans 8:1)
- There is a difference between Condemnation and Consequences
- There is a difference between Punishment and Discipline
- Punishment is just payment for past offenses
- Discipline is correction for the future
“For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.” It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons.” (Hebrews 12:6–8)
Q: As A Believer, What Do I Do When I Sin?
“Therefore thus says the LORD: “If you return, I will restore you, and you shall stand before me.” (Jeremiah 15:19)
“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)
“Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first.” (Revelation 2:5)
“Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.” (Psalm 51:10–12)
Making It Personal:
- Has there ever been a time in your life when you were closer to Christ than you are now? If so, what happened? Where have you begun to drift? What has gotten in the way?
- Have you lost the joy of your relationship with Christ? Is there a staleness? Has duty replaced delight? Do you find yourself heartlessly going through the motions?
- Have you been ashamed of your relationship with Christ? When was the last time you shared a positive word about Christ with someone far from God?
- What is it that you used to do that you have slacked off on? Time in the Bible? Giving? Serving?
- What is it that you know God wants you to do that you’ve been putting off and delaying?