Measuring a Ministry
Pastor: Jeff Bedwell Scripture: 1 Thessalonians 2:1–13
Measuring A Ministry
1 Thessalonians 2:1-13
How do you measure the effectiveness of a ministry?
Some Common Measuring Sticks
- Objective Measuring Sticks
Caution: It is easier to build a Crowd than it is to build a Church.
- Subjective Measuring Sticks
Key Question for this measuring stick: How does this church make me Feel?
Some Measuring Sticks From Paul’s Ministry
- Is The Ministry Biblical? (2,4,8-9,13)
Paul saw the gospel of God as a Treasure to be invested in the lives of others
Is the Bible being faithfully taught and proclaimed?
Are we encouraging and challenging one another to flesh out the truth of God’s Word in our lives?
- Is The Ministry Marked By Authenticity? (3-6, 8-10)
Paul’s ministry was effective, in part because Paul was Real
Being authentic doesn’t mean being Perfect
- Is The Ministry Loving? (7-8, 11)
“Love may not make the world go around but it sure makes the ride worthwhile.”
Two Directions Of Love:
“But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”” (Matthew 22:34–40, ESV)
- Toward God
- Toward Others
Two Dimensions Of Love:
Two Results Of This Type Of Ministry (12-13)
- Individuals Walk in a manner worthy of God
- There is unceasing Thanksgiving because God’s
Word is received and is actively and energetically working in individual’s lives as they believe
“I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.” (3 John 4, ESV)
Could It Be That By God’s Grace The Best Is Yet To Be?
Making It Personal
- Can I truly describe my life as one where I am walking in the truth? Walking in a manner worthy of God?
- How am I investing my life for Christ and His Kingdom through Fort Mill First Baptist Church?
- What is my next step of trust and obedience toward God in experiencing His transforming grace working in and through me?