The Gospel Story
2 Kings 22-23
God is faithful to continue to work in our lives to bring us back to Himself and to walk in His ways for His glory and for our good.
“And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” (Philippians 1:6, ESV)
Lessons From A Young King
- Choose a good example (22:2)
- Revere the Word of God (22:11)
- Seek to know the mind of God (22:13)
The words of Scripture and the God of the Scriptures are one
It is not enough to know the Bible, you must seek the God of the Bible
“You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me,” (John 5:39, ESV)
- Share the truth of God with others (23:1-2)
“For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of Man also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”” (Mark 8:38, ESV)
- Consecrate yourself to do the will of God (23:4, 21-23)
“And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments. Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him: whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.” (1 John 2:3–6, ESV)
- Separate from ungodliness (23:4-20, 24)
“For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.” (Titus 2:11–14, ESV)
A Compelling Legacy
“Before him there was no king like him, who turned to the Lord with all his heart and with all his soul and with all his might, according to all the Law of Moses, nor did any like him arise after him.” (2 Kings 23:25, ESV)
- Spiritual apathy comes with Drifting from God’s Word
- Spiritual renewal is rooted in Aligning with God’s Word
- Spiritual blessing results from Living according to God’s Word
Making It Personal:
- What to you want the legacy of your life to be? What steps will you take to begin to live that way?
- Which of the lessons above do your sense God is directing you to lean into this week in a more intentional way?
- How are you relating to God’s Word currently? What adjustments do you desire to make to build your life more firmly on the foundation of the Word of God?
- Is today the day for you to turn from self-rule and self-righteousness and trust in Jesus Christ to be the forgiver of your sin and the leader of your life?
- What is your next step of obedience to God today?
Ready to take your Next Step?
- Text Next to 803-637-8484
- Go to FBCFM.COM and click “Next Steps”
other sermons in this series