The Gospel Story
Hiding from God
"What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us." A.W. Tozer
We respond to God based upon our view of God
A proper view of God leads to a proper walk with God. An improper view of God leads to an improper walk with God.
One of Satan’s favorite devices is to try to Distort our view of God (see Genesis 3)
The Book of Jonah Reminds Us of the Importance of a
Proper View of God
1. Jonah misunderstood God’s Will (1:1-3a)
God’s will is the place of greatest blessing, not the place of greatest burden!
When we properly understand God’s will, we will run Toward it and not From it
2. Jonah misunderstood God’s Presence (1:3)
“Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?” (Psalm 139:7)
When we properly understand God’s presence, we will not try to Run from Him, but we will Relax in Him
3. Jonah misunderstood God’s Power (1:4-5)
When we properly understand God’s power, we will not Fight against Him, but seek to Join Him in carrying out His will
4. They misunderstood God’s Discipline (1:6-17)
Notice two very human responses:
- They tried to Fix the situation on their own (1:13)
- Jonah finally cried out to God in his Desperation (Chapter 2)
God disciplines us not to harm us, but to help us!
When we properly understand God’s discipline, we will not Resent it, but Accept it as an expression of His love
5. Jonah misunderstood God’s Grace and Forgiveness (3:1-4:3)
Jonah wanted to limit God’s grace to people like himself.
When we properly understand God’s forgiveness, we will move from Judging others to Loving others
6. Jonah misunderstood God’s Love (4:4-11)
Jonah loved the plant, resented the people and nourished his anger
When we properly understand God’s love, we will Love what God loves and Hate what God hates
“I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.” (Romans 12:1, ESV)
A Healthy Relationship With God Is Built On:
Making It Personal:
- Who or what has informed your view of God?
- What do you truly believe about God’s:
- Grace And Forgiveness
- How are these beliefs impacting how you relate to God and to others?
- What adjustments need to be made to align more closely with the truth of who God truly is?
- Is today the day for you to turn from self-rule and self- righteousness and trust in Jesus Christ to be the forgiver of your sin and the leader of your life?
- What is your next step of obedience to God today?
Ready to take your Next Step?
- See Pastor Jeff after the service today
- Fill out a Connect Card and drop it in the offering box
- Text Next to 803-637-8484
- Go to FBCFM.COM and click “Next Steps”
other sermons in this series