The Gospel Story
1 Kings 18
“A number of years ago in a book entitled Revival, I gave the following definition of that term: "Revival is an extraordinary work of the Holy Spirit producing extraordinary results." While that phrase conveys the fundamental concept of revival, over the intervening years I have come to the conviction that one single word describes revival better than any other - that word is GOD.” Richard Owen Roberts
“Revival is God speaking, God moving, God restored to His rightful place, God manifesting Himself among His people and a watching world.” Bill Eliff
The Enemies of Revival
- The Corrupt (4, 18-19)
- The Competitors (19)
“For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.” (Ephesians 6:12, ESV)
- The Compromisers (21)
The Problem is not primarily with the corrupt, but with the compromisers
“If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” (2 Chronicles 7:14, ESV)
The Elements of Revival
- Unity (30-31)
“I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.” (John 17:20–23, ESV)
The enemy divides – God unites
- Separation (32)
“You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.” (James 4:4, ESV)
Unity is not compromise
- Sacrifice (33a)
“I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” (Romans 12:1–2, ESV)
We are called to be living sacrifices
- Confident Faith (33b-35)
“Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.” (Ephesians 3:20–21, ESV)
“A God who can’t burn wet wood is no good.” Adrian Rogers
- Prayer (36-37)
“Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known.” (Jeremiah 33:3, ESV)
“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.” (Matthew 7:7, ESV)
This prayer focused on the glory of God!
The Evidences of Revival
- A fire that Consumes (38)
- A fire that Convicts (39)
- A fire that Converts (39)
Our job is not to Persuade God to send revival, but to Permit God to send revival
Making It Personal:
- Is today the day for you to turn from self-rule and self-righteousness and trust in Jesus Christ to be the forgiver of your sin and the leader of your life?
- What would it look like for you to actively eliminate some of the enemies of revival from your life? How practically will you go about this? What is the first step you can take this week?
- What elements of revival are evident in your life right now? What steps can you take to have more of these elements evident in your life?
- Will you cry out to God anew and afresh with humility and a confident faith asking God to send a revival?
- What is your next step of obedience to God today?
Ready to take your Next Step?
- See Pastor Jeff after the service today
- Fill out a Connect Card and drop it in the offering box
- Text Next to 803-637-8484
- Go to FBCFM.COM and click “Next Steps”
other sermons in this series