Handling Prosperity with Integrity
March 6, 2022 Speaker: Jeff Bedwell Series: The Gospel Story
Passage: Genesis 41–50
The Gospel Story
Handling Prosperity With Integrity
“Adversity is sometimes hard upon a man, but for one man who can stand prosperity, there are a hundred that will stand adversity.” Thomas Carlyle
It will require vigilance to prevent God’s dream from becoming a nightmare in your life and the lives of others.
Lessons on Handling Prosperity With Integrity
- Develop Discipline (41:47-49)
“No man is fit to command who cannot command himself” William Penn
“What we do on some great occasion will probably depend on what we already are; and what we are will be the result of previous years of self-discipline.” H. P. Lidden
- Stay Under Authority (41:46)
“No man is wise enough or good enough to be trusted with unlimited power.” John Adams
- First and foremost, the authority of God and God’s Word
- To help stay on track Invite a few others into your life to journey with you
- Focus On Your Responsibilities, Not Your Privileges (50:20)
Key Question: Why has God entrusted me with this position?
“And David knew that the Lord had established him king over Israel, and that he had exalted his kingdom for the sake of his people Israel.” (2 Samuel 5:12, ESV)
- Stewardship of Affluence
- Stewardship of Influence
“Prosperity is only an instrument to be used, not a deity to be worshipped.” Calvin Coolidge
“Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more.” (Luke 12:48, ESV)
- Finish The Job (41:53-57)
- Countless lives were Saved
- The nation of Israel was Preserved
“Success breeds complacency, complacency breeds failure.” Andy Grove
- Extend Grace To Others (50:21)
Joseph’s brothers were still living with guilt and grief twenty plus years later. (42:21)
This is a picture of a family living with Their solution
The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the Strong
- Who do you need to Forgive?
- Who do you need to Bless? (48 & 49)
- Who do you need to Honor? (49:29-50:14)
- Remember Who Owns The Dream (41:16,51,52; 45:9)
Stay humble or you will stumble!
Talent is a gift; Character is a choice.
“The true way to be humble is not to stoop until you are smaller than yourself, but to stand at your real height against some higher nature that will show you what the real smallness of your greatness is.” Phillips Brooks
“Recognizing that we are where we are because God put us there gives our lives purpose.” Richard Kew
Key Question: If your dreams were fulfilled, whose victory would it be?
Don’t Become A Victim of God’s Victory In Your Life!
What would someone in my situation do who was absolutely convinced that God was with them?
Making It Personal:
- How are you combating complacency in your life as God brings success and prosperity into your life?
- Which of the lessons on handling a promotion do you most need to focus on and apply in your life right now? What specifically will you do to make this application happen?
- How are you currently stewarding your affluence and influence? Are there any adjustments that the Lord is prompting you to make?
- Is there anyone you need to forgive? To bless? To honor?
- What would someone in your circumstances do who was absolutely convinced that God was with them?
- Who can I share these truths with?
Ready to take your Next Step?
- See Pastor Jeff after the service today
- Fill out a Connect Card and drop it in the offering box
- Text Next to 803-637-8484
- Go to FBCFM.COM and click “Next Steps”
More in The Gospel Story
June 4, 2023All About the Gospel
May 14, 2023Failing Forward
May 7, 2023Boasting in Christ