The Fall of Man
January 9, 2022 Speaker: Jeff Bedwell Series: The Gospel Story
Passage: Genesis 3
The Gospel Story
The Fall Of Man
It has been said that every worldview must answer at least four basic questions:
- Why is there something rather than nothing?
- What has gone wrong?
- Is there any hope?
- Where is history headed? How is the story going to end?
- Questioning God’s Word
- Satan’s Question
- Eve’s Revisions – Diminishes – Adds To – Softens
- Satan’s Contradiction
Note: Divine Judgment is the first doctrine to be denied
- Questioning God’s Goodness
- Accusing God of holding out on them
- Satan spoke of what they would gain, but never of what they would lose
- Rejecting God’s Will and Ways
- Sin as Rebellion
- Sin as Idolatry
“I ordinarily begin speaking about sin to a young, urban, non-Christian like this: Sin isn’t only doing bad things; it’s more fundamentally making good things into ultimate things. Sin is building your life and meaning on anything, even a very good thing, more than on God. Whatever we build our life on will drive us and enslave us. Sin is primarily idolatry.” Tim Keller
“And you were dead in the trespasses and sins” (Ephesians 2:1, ESV)
- Spiritual separation
- Psychological separation
- Social separation
- Environmental separation
- Physical separation
- The Mercy of God
- He seeks The Guilty
- He covers The Shameful
- The Promise of God
“For as by the one man’s disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man’s obedience the many will be made righteous.” (Romans 5:19, ESV)
“And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him.” (Colossians 2:13–15, ESV)
Joy To The World – Third Stanza:
No more let sins and sorrows grow,
Nor thorns infest the ground;
He comes to make His blessings flow
Far as the curse is found,
Far as the curse is found,
Far as, far as, the curse is found.
Questions for Reflection:
- How is sin being manifested in your life right now? How is it impacting you and others?
- Will you for the first time or anew and afresh turn from your sin and trust in the perfect provision of Jesus Christ to be your one and only Savior and Lord?
- What is the next step of obedience that God is calling you to take right now?
Ready to take your Next Step?
- See Pastor Jeff after the service today
- Fill out a Connect Card and drop it in the offering box
- Text Next to 803-637-8484
- Go to FBCFM.COM and click “Next Steps”
More in The Gospel Story
May 14, 2023Failing Forward
May 7, 2023Boasting in Christ
April 30, 2023Breaking Down Walls