Refocus Reengage - A 5G Follower of Christ
August 15, 2021 Speaker: Jeff Bedwell
Passage: Matthew 28:18–20
A 5 G Follower of Christ
Getting back “to normal” isn’t our calling!
A Disciple Is One Who:
- Lives like Jesus lived (Character & Conduct)
- Loves like Jesus loved (Relationships)
- Leaves behind what Jesus left behind (Mission & Purpose)
A Pathway can help guide us to our intended destination
A Discipleship Pathway
- Grace – Transformed by God’s Grace
- Receiving God’s grace through faith
“For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.” (Ephesians 2:8–9, ESV)
- Celebrating God’s grace through baptism
“So those who received his word were baptized,” (Acts 2:41, ESV)
- Gather With Others
“And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers…And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts,” (Acts 2:42 & 46, ESV)
- To Worship
- In Groups
“And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.” (Hebrews 10:24–25, ESV)
- Grow More Like Christ
“But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.” (2 Peter 3:18, ESV)
“Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness;” (1 Timothy 4:7, ESV)
- Through Personal Time with God
- Through Learning with others
- Give of Yourself
“For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it.” (Luke 9:24, ESV)
- Serving God by serving Others
“As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace:” (1 Peter 4:10, ESV)
- Giving Financially through the church
“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” (Matthew 6:19–21, ESV)
God uses money to Reveal and Reorient our heart
- Go Sharing Christ
“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”” (Acts 1:8, ESV)
Everybody an everyday Missionary
“And now, Lord, look upon their threats and grant to your servants to continue to speak your word with all boldness, while you stretch out your hand to heal, and signs and wonders are performed through the name of your holy servant Jesus.” And when they had prayed, the place in which they were gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and continued to speak the word of God with boldness.” (Acts 4:29–31, ESV)
We follow Christ on the pathway with Dependent Discipline
“Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.” (Philippians 2:12–13, ESV)
Making It Personal
- Have I personally responded to God’s grace through faith?
- Have I obeyed Christ by celebrating His grace to me through baptism?
- How will I prioritize weekly worship?
- How will I prepare myself to give myself more completely to God in the context of corporate worship?
- Who am I connected to right now?
- How will I gather with others in a group?
- Does God want me to be a leader of a group?
- How will I grow through personal spiritual growth habits?
- What habit do I need to refine, renew or begin?
- How will I put myself in environments to grow with others?
- How am I currently serving God by serving others?
- Who does God want to touch through my life and ministry?
- How will I go about finding my place of service within the body of Christ?
- What does my current use of money reveal about my heart?
- How am I going to give of my resources for Kingdom causes?
- Who am I praying for that doesn’t know Christ?
- Who does Christ want me to share the gospel with?
- How will I share Christ with those around me?
- How will I impact the nations? Praying? Giving? Going?
- Who will I pour my life into that will be able to pour their lives into the lives of others?
What Is My Next Step On The Pathway?