We Find Love
Topic: Love Passage: John 19:23–27
Series: At the Cross
Message: We Find Love
Scripture: John 19:23-27
At the cross, Jesus gives us another powerful lesson on what it means to truly love.
- Soldiers Gambling
- John and Marry Grieving
“And Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, “Behold, this child is appointed for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign that is opposed (and a sword will pierce through your own soul also), so that thoughts from many hearts may be revealed.”” (Luke 2:34–35)
A Lesson In Love
1. Love Honors our parents
“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the LORD your God is giving you.” (Exodus 20:12)
“But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.” (1 Timothy 5:8)
“For not even his brothers believed in him.” (John 7:5)
2. Love Extends grace to those who fail
“And they all left him and fled.” (Mark 14:50)
3. Love pays Attention
“When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son!”” (John 19:26)
“And when Jesus came to the place, he looked up and said to him, “Zacchaeus, hurry and come down, for I must stay at your house today.”” (Luke 19:5)
4. Love Provides for needs
“Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.” (Romans 12:13)
5. Love Shows Up
“A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.” (Proverbs 17:17, ESV)
“If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will beashamed of him when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.”” (Mark 8:38)
6. Love sees others Pain even when I’m in Pain
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as we share abundantly in Christ’s sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.” (2 Corinthians 1:3–5)
7. Love meets Needs even when all of mine aren’t met
“We want you to know, brothers, about the grace of God that has been given among the churches of Macedonia, for in a severe test of affliction, their abundance of joy and their extreme poverty have overflowed in a wealth of generosity on their part.” (2 Corinthians 8:1–2)
8. God’s love toward us makes believers a Family
“But he replied to the man who told him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”” (Matthew 12:48–50)
“So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.” (Galatians 6:10)
A Word About Your Pain
- Jesus Cares about your pain
- Don’t Handle it alone
- Help others out of your own pain
- Look to Christ in your pain
Making it Personal
- Have you received Christ’s love and forgiveness toward you by repenting of your sin and placing your trust in the completed work of Jesus Christ? How will you meditate on that incredible love for you this week?
- Who will you reach out to this week with Christ-like love? How specifically will you do this?
- Where are you finding it challenging to trust God’s love in the midst of painful circumstances? What truths can you meditate on, what actions can you take to turn your heart and mind to the reality of God’s love even in the midst of your pain?
- Who can you share these truths with?