The True Vine
Passage: John 15:1–15:11
Series: Who is Jesus?
Message: The True Vine
Scripture: John 15:1-11
“Who is Jesus?” is the ultimate question that everyone must answer.
3 Characters in this Passage:
The True Vine is Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
The Vinedresser is God, the Father.
The Branches are Disciples (followers of Jesus Christ).
1) Relationship to the True Vine (John 15:1-3)
- Stay Connected to the Vine, Jesus Christ
“The degree to which you connect everything in your life to Christ is the degree to which you will experience everything God wants you to have from Christ.” - Tony Evans
- Be Cultivated by God the Father
“When branches fall into the dirt and bear no fruit, God doesn’t throw them away or abandon them. He lifts them up, cleans them off, and helps them flourish again.” - Bruce Wilkinson
No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. (Hebrews 12:11)
Pruning is painful. However, I can trust the hand that does the pruning.
2) Results from the True Vine (John 15:4-8)
- Bear Fruit
What is this fruit that God wants us to bear?
- Christ-like character
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self- control. (Galatians 5:22-23)
- Good works
So walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him: bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. (Colossians 1:10)
- Praising and thanking God
Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. (Hebrew 13:15)
- Blessed Prayer Life
- Bring Glory to the Father
3) Reside in the True Vine (John 15:9-11)
“Jesus revealed that the secret of growing God’s fruit in your life is in being at home with Him. That’s the true definition of the familiar word “abide.” - Chuck Swindoll
- Abide in His Love
- Accept His Commands
- Appreciate His Full Joy
"Joy doesn’t come from your circumstances. It comes from knowing that God is over your circumstances.” - James Merritt Am I Abiding in Christ.
- The first sign is the Father’s pruning (John 15:2)
- The second sign is that I am bearing fruit (John 15:5)
- The third sign is understanding that I can do nothing apart from the vine (John 15:5)
- The fourth evidence is an unhindered prayer life (John 15:7)
- The fifth evidence is an unending love for Jesus (John 15:9)
- The sixth evidence is an uncommon joy in all things (John 15:11)
“The secret of living is fruit bearing. God did not create you. And Christ did not die for you that you might go through life getting. God created you and Christ purchased you that you might invest your life giving.” – Warren Wiersbe
“Who is Jesus?” is the ultimate question that must be answered today.
Making it Personal
- What are some old habits, behaviors, or attitudes that God is currently pruning?
- What kind of fruit are you producing? Are you beginning to look more like Jesus?
- Are you more preoccupied with your performance instead of being preoccupied with the person of Jesus Christ?