The Way, the Truth, the Life
Passage: John 14:1–14:6
SERIES: Who Is Jesus?
MESSAGE: The Way, The Truth, The Life
SCRITPURE: John 14:1-6
For Jesus, His “I Am” statements were also a statement of His Divinity
“God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’ ”" (Exodus 3:14)
“For thus says the LORD, who created the heavens (he is God!), who formed the earth and made it (he established it; he did not create it empty, he formed it to be inhabited!): “I am the LORD, and there is no other.” (Isaiah 45:18)
- Command (1) – “Let not”
- Call (1) – “Believe” – Trust
- Picture (2) – “Rooms” – Abiding places
- Promise (3-4) – “Prepare a place”
- Question (5)
- Answer (6)
The way is not a principle or a path, but a Person
“Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.” (Matthew 7:13–14)
Because Jesus is the way I can:
• Experience forgiveness and peace
“For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,” (1 Timothy 2:5)
“Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.” (Romans 5:1)
• Connect with God
“Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith,” (Hebrews 10:19–22a)
Because Jesus is the truth, I can:
• Trust His guidance
“Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.” (Proverbs 3:5–6)
• Obey Him with confidence
“But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men.” (Acts 5:29)
Because Jesus is the life, I can:
• Live Abundantly
“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.” (John 10:10)
• Live Eternally
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16)
“Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.” (John 3:36)
Choice not chance will determine your eternal destiny!
- Trust in Christ as the only way for me to experience forgiveness of my sin, eternal life and reconciliation with God
- Live Daily with a confident humility in complete obedience to Jesus
- Share Christ with others lovingly and boldly
Making It Personal
- Review the “Implications” section above. Which of these implications do you most need to meditate on?
- Review the “Application” section above. What will it look like for you to make these applications personally?
- Spend some time in God’s presence allowing the Holy Spirit to guide you in a time of reflection and application.
- Who can I share these truths with?