Faith vs. Fear
Sermon Series: Facing My Fears
Message: Faith vs. Fear
Scripture: Numbers 13:25-14:9
Everyone experiences fear – The only question is how we will respond to it.
Characteristics of Fear Driven People
1. They Experience the same things as positive people of faith (Numbers 13:25-27)
- Many faith filled people have had some very negative experiences
2. They quickly turn the conversation to the Negative. (Numbers 13:28-29)
- Some people can find a problem in every solution
3. They Reject the encouragement of others (Numbers 13:32)
- Choices, not circumstances, determine our faith!
4. They exaggerate and Instill fear in others (Numbers 13:32)
- The fate of a whole generation was impacted by their report.
5. Quite often they have a poor Self-Image. (Numbers 13:33)
- Grasshopper mentality
- We cannot consistently behave in a manner that is inconsistent with the way we see ourselves.
- They focused on the size of their problems and forgot about the size of their God!
Characteristics of Faith Directed People
1. They are willing to stand Alone. (Numbers 13:30)
- Though none go with me, still I will follow
- “It is the most natural thing in the world to be scared, and the clearest evidence that God's grace is at work in our hearts is when we do not get into panics. The remarkable thing about fearing God is that when you fear God you fear nothing else, whereas if you do not fear God you fear everything else.” Oswald Chambers
2. They are Passionate in what they believe (Numbers 14:5-6)
- God is not looking for lukewarm followers.
3. They see the Potential, not just the Problems. (Numbers 14:7)
- God often sends us opportunities brilliantly disguised as problems.
4. They Trust in God’s empowering presence (Numbers 14:8-9)
- What God guides, He provides.
- "Courage is fear that has said its prayers." General George Patton, as heard from Chaplain George Metcalf.
5. They Experience God’s reward
- “But my servant Caleb, because he has a different spirit and has followed me fully, I will bring into the land into which he went, and his descendants shall possess it.”
- “not one shall come into the land where I swore that I would make you dwell, except Caleb the son of Jephunneh and Joshua the son of Nun.” (Numbers 14:30)
Fear Driven or Faith Directed? We Get To Choose!
We Can Choose:
- To Receive God’s gift of eternal life
- To Nurture our walk with God
- What goes into our Minds
- To fix our Focus
- To take Action
The smallest obedient act is far better than the greatest of intentions!
The choices we make in a moment of crisis or at a crossroads of opportunity will be determined to a large extent by our Daily Choices.
Making It Personal:
- How have I typically responded to fear in my life? Are there areas of my life where I am more prone to be fear driven than in other areas of my life?
- What characteristics of “fear driven” people do I see operating in my life? What characteristics of “faith directed” people do I see operating in my life right now?
- What choices can I begin to make or renew and strengthen in my life to help me become more faith directed? What will that look like on a daily basis?
- Who can I share these truths with?