Facing My Fear of the Future
Sermon Series: Facing My Fears
Message: Facing My Fear of the Future
Scripture: Psalm 34:4
Two Reasons We Might Fear the Future:
- It’s _______________
- It’s _______________
Facts about My Future
1. God ____________ everything about my future
- “And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.” (Hebrews 4:13)
- “Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.” (Psalm 139:16)
2. God has _______________ over my future
- “He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.” (Colossians 1:15–17)
- “As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today.” (Genesis 50:20)
3. God has a _______________ for my future
- “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11)
- “O LORD, you are my God; I will exalt you; I will praise your name, for you have done wonderful things, plans formed of old, faithful and sure.” (Isaiah 25:1)
4. God will _____________________ every step of the way
- “for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”” (Hebrews 13:5)
- “if we are faithless, he remains faithful— for he cannot deny himself.” (2 Timothy 2:13)
Because Of God’s Sovereignty Over My Future, I Can Depend On God To...
1. _______________ me when I am confused
- “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.” (Proverbs 3:5–6)
- “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.” (James 1:5)
2. _______________ me when I am tempted
- “No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.” (1 Corinthians 10:13)
3. _______________ me when I am overwhelmed
- “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.” (Isaiah 43:2–3)
4. _______________ me when I am faithful to Him
- “For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done.” (Matthew 16:27)
- ““Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done.” (Revelation 22:12)
Responding To God’s Sovereignty Over My Future
1. _______________ it.
2. _______________ with it _______________
- “casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.” (1 Peter 5:7)
- Prayer is a human act that God has ordained and which he delights in because it reflects our trust in and dependence upon him. _______________
- “And Samuel said, “Has the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to listen than the fat of rams.” (1 Samuel 15:22)
Obedience today is the best _______________ for the future
- “If this be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of your hand, O king. But if not, be it known to you, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up.”” (Daniel 3:17–18)
Making It Personal:
- How have fears about my future impacted my life in the past? How are these fears impacting my life today?
- Review the major points of this outline. Which truth do I most need to internalize this week?
- What do I sense God is calling me to do in response to these truths from God’s Word? What am I going to do about it? What is my next step in obedience to God?
- Who can I share these truths with?