Help for Hurting Parents
February 23, 2020 Speaker: Shannon Ford
Help for Hurting Parents
“God hasn’t just sent you to do his work in the lives of your children; he will use the lives of your children to advance his work in you.” (Paul David Tripp)
- A Desperate Parent (Matthew 15:21-22)
“And Jesus went away from there and withdrew to the district of Tyre and Sidon. And behold, a Canaanite woman from that region came out and was crying, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David; my daughter is severely oppressed by a demon.”
- She came to Jesus
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. (Matthew 11:28-30)
- She cried out to Jesus
Arise, cry out in the night, at the beginning of the night watches! Pour out your heart like water before the presence of the Lord! Lift your hands to him for the lives of your children… (Lamentations 2:19)
“The problem with unanswered prayer is that the situation is desperate, but the saints are not.” (Vance Havner)
- A Determined Parent (Matthew 15:23-27)
“But he did not answer her a word. And his disciples came and begged him, saying, “Send her away, for she is crying out after us.” He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” But she came and knelt before him, saying, “Lord, help me.” And he answered, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and throw it to the dogs.” She said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters’ table.”
- She pressed through her obstacles
I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:14)
- She persisted in her opportunity
“Great faith is faith that takes God at His Word and will not let go until God meets the need.” (Warren Wiersbe)
- A Developed Parent (Matthew 15:28)
Then Jesus answered her, “O woman, great is your faith! Be it done for you as you desire.” And her daughter was healed instantly.
- A response on her faith
- A reward for her faith
“God’s heart is kind at all times, even in my difficulties and struggles.” (James Merritt)
“God never dismisses a parent’s prayer. Keep giving your child to God, and in the right time and the right way, God will give your child back to you.” (Max Lucado)
Lessons to Learn
- Never give up. Anything is possible with God.
- Don’t stop praying when God is silent.
- Worship God even when you haven’t received the answer you want.
- Cry out to God in desperate
- Realize that even a crumb of God’s grace is more than enough.
Making It Personal:
- How much does your problem mean to you? How desperate is your prayer?
- What obstacles are you facing today with your problem?
- Your faith will not be defined by what you receive from God; but by what it takes to stop you from getting to God! What is stopping you?
- Jesus was so impressed with the faith demonstrated by the Canaanite mother. How impressed is Jesus with the faith you demonstrate daily?
- Who can I share these truths with?