20/20 Living in 2020
December 29, 2019 Speaker: Shannon Ford
20/20 Living in 2020
1) Handle Relationships with Care (Psalm 1:1)
Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
- Don’t listen to the wrong people (walk)
- Don’t linger with the wrong people (stand)
- Don’t learn from the wrong people (sit)
If you follow the wrong counsel, then you will stand with the wrong companions and finally sit with the wrong crowd. (Warren Wiersbe)
→ The counsel you follow determines the course of your life.
2) Study Scripture with Consistency (Psalm 1:2)
but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.
- Delight in God’s Word (belief & behavior)
- Be Developed by God’s Word (meditate & memorize)
Time spent alone with the Lord in His Word and prayer is crucial to the Christian life. If we neglect it, the delights of the world will quickly fill our mind and capture our heart, drowning out the desire for God. (Charles Stanley)
→ What you delight in is what will direct and develop your life.
3) Grow Your Spiritual Life with Commitment (Psalm 1:3)
He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers.
- Position yourself to Christ’s source of life and strength.
- Produce spiritual fruit by the Holy Spirit for others.
- Praise God through sharing your prosperity.
The golden rule for understanding in spiritual matters is not intellect, but obedience. (Oswald Chambers)
→ Those who are deeply planted in God’s Word will be fruitful in God’s work.
4) Reach Nonbelievers with Conviction (Psalm 1:4-5)
The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away. Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous;
- See the reality of God’s judgment.
- Share the Gospel through words and works.
- Start engaging in Gospel-centered conversations daily.
It is better to die for a conviction than to live with a compromise. (Vance Havner)
→ Take every chance to ask searching questions – then listen.
5) Secure Your Eternity with Certainty (Psalm 1:6)
for the Lord knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.
- Everyone will spend eternity in heaven or hell.
- Every day you are closer to your eternal destination.
- Everything in your life is seen by God.
If you are a Christian, you should never be confused about who you are, why you are here, and where you are going. That was settled when you were born again. (David Jeremiah)
→ Guard and cultivate purity and Christlikeness in your thoughts and actions.
Applying the Psalm
- We’re called to be the light of the world, not to blend in with its darkness.
- The less you associate with some people, the more your life will improve.
- A person who delights in God’s Word doesn’t have to be told to read it, he or she longs for it.
- The key to meditating on Scripture is perseverance and patience. It’s an unhurried
- Pray daily for God to give me an opportunity to speak with someone about Jesus; the wisdom to see it; and the courage to take
Making It Personal:
- Have you personally received the greatest gift of all, the gift of Jesus Christ made possible by God’s grace?
- How will you make it a priority in 2020 to study and meditate on the Word of God?
- “Who’s Your One?” Will you spend time in 2020 praying intentionally for them to receive the greatest gift of all Jesus Christ? How will you seek to share Christ with them next year?
- How will I surround myself in 2020 with Godly people who will help keep me on the right path?