Being Rich in Good Works
Topic: Generosity Passage: 1 Timothy 6:17–6:19
Being Rich In Good Works
1 Timothy 6:17-19
Objective: Learn how to be Good at being rich.
- God has blessed me with more than I need, I am rich!
- There are some unique spiritual challenges that go with being rich – Money does things to people
- Key Question: How are my finances shaping my heart?
- What is deeply within my heart, underneath my financial behaviors?
- Key Thought: I will not trust in riches, but in him who richly provides!
- I can keep my heart and hope from drifting by doing good, being rich in good works and being generous and ready to share
- It is not primarily about what I have. It is what I do with what I have that will count either for me or against me in the kingdom of heaven.
Every Follower of Christ Is…
- Saved for good works
“For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” (Ephesians 2:10)
We are not saved By good works, but For good works
- Gifted for good works
“As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace:” (1 Peter 4:10)
- Commanded to serve others
“It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be your slave, even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20:26–28)
- To be Prepared and Encouraged for ministry/good works
“And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ,” (Ephesians 4:11–12)
“And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.” (Hebrews 10:24–25)
- Needed for multiple needs in the church and in the world
“If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose. If all were a single member, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, yet one body. The eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you,” nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you… “Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it.” (1 Corinthians 12:17–21, 27)
- Accountable for our good works
“For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw— each one’s work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done.” (1 Corinthians 3:11–13)
“Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.” (Colossians 3:23–24)
- To Point To God, not ourselves
““You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:14–16)
How To Live This Out
- Make it Regular/Systematic
- At least occasionally do your good deeds In Secret
“But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.” (Matthew 6:3–4)
Q: Am I investing my L.I.F.E. in what matters most?
Labor, Influence, Finances, and Expertise
Making It Personal:
- God’s richest provision for us is eternal life found only in Jesus Christ. The beginning point for being rich in things that really matter is being in a right relationship with God by responding to his grace through repentance and faith. Is this foundational relationship a reality in your life?
- Spend time reviewing and reflecting on the major points of this teaching. Am I investing my I.F.E. in what matters most?
- What can you learn from the couple’s story that was shared? How can you apply these insights in your own life?
- How will you grow in being good at being rich?
- Who can you share these truths with?