How Can I Know That I Am Saved?
Passage: John 15:9,
Transformed By The Gospel
How Can I Know That I Am Truly Saved?
John 15:9 & 1 John
3 Types of Assurance:
- Undermined Assurance
- Undeserved Assurance
- Full Assurance
“I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life.” (1 John 5:13)
“Where there is uncertainty concerning how salvation is attained, there will be confusion over whether it can be maintained.” Charles Stanley
“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.” (Ephesians 2:8–9)
“God’s grace is His active favor bestowing the greatest gift upon those who have deserved the greatest punishment.” William Hendriksen
Salvation is when I respond to God’s provision through Jesus Christ by turning from sin in repentance and turning to Christ in faith
There is only one posture ever appropriate toward Christ: Surrendered to His Lordship, and Trusting in what He did for me
Present posture is more important than Past memory
“So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works... For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.” (James 2:17–18 & 26)
We are saved by grace alone through faith alone, but faith that saves is Never alone!
Signs of New or Eternal Life In Christ
- Am I enjoying Fellowship with God the Father and Jesus Christ? (1:2-3)
- Am I increasingly Sensitive to Sin? (1:5-10 & 2:1-2)
- Am I growing in Obedience to God’s Word? (2:3-6)
- Am I more and more Rejecting the values of this world? (2:15-17)
- Am I seeing a decreasing Pattern of Sin in my life? (3:1-10 & 5:18)
- Do I have a growing Love for other Christians? (3:10-24; 2:9-11 & 4:16-21)
- Do I ever encounter hatred or Suffering because of my faith? (3:12-13)
“If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.” (John 15:18)
“I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world.” (John 17:14)
- Am I progressively more able to Discern between spiritual truth and error? (4:1-6)
- Am I experiencing the ministry of the Holy Spirit in my life? (4:13-15)
“But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.” (John 14:26)
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.” (Galatians 5:22–23)
“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” (Acts 1:8)
- Am I seeing God’s activity in answer to my Prayers?
(5:14-15 & 3:22)
“And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.” (John 14:13–14)
“And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.” (1 John 5:11–13)
As I reflect on my relationship with Christ I ask:
- Am I presently in a Posture of surrender and trust toward Jesus Christ?
- Am I Persevering in that posture? This is not about perfection, but it is about direction.
- Am I Exhibiting signs of a new life in Christ?
- Who can I share these truths with?