Compelled by Love
Passage: 2 Corinthians 5:11–5:21
Fundamentals for Following
Compelled By Love
2 Corinthians 5:11-21
“The test by which all conduct must finally be judged is motive. As water cannot rise higher than its source, so the moral quality in an act can never be higher than the motive that inspires it.” A.W. Tozer
Five Marks of An Ambassador For Christ
- An Ambassador’s Motivation (11-15)
- Fear of The Lord (10-12)
We understand what is at stake!
Persuade – not argue, bludgeon or manipulate. Speak the truth plainly.
- Love of Christ (13-14)
- Conviction of Truth (14-15)
“I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” (Galatians 2:20)
- An Ambassador’s View of People (16-17)
Love means we see people through God’s eyes
- Who they Are
- Divinely created in the image of God
- Fallen, sinful separated from God
- Who they can Become
People matter to God!
Everybody is going to spend forever somewhere.
- An Ambassador’s View of the World (18-19)
- God is at work and we are called to join Him in what He is doing
- We have been entrusted with a Universal message
Reconciliation is the establishment of harmony and peace between enemies
- An Ambassador’s View of their Role (20)
- Must get the message Right
- Doesn’t have the freedom to Change the message
- Cannot leave the message Undelivered
- Doesn’t live At Home
- An Ambassador’s Focus (21)
- Substitutionary Atonement
- Imputed Righteousness
“On the cross, God treated Christ as if He had committed all the sins of every sinner who would believe, so that He could treat every believer as if they had lived Christ’s perfect life.” John MacArthur
Living As An Ambassador
Begin with prayer
I will pray for the people in my life and the places that I’m in.
“God, give me today (1) an opportunity to speak with someone about Jesus; (2) the wisdom to see it; and (3) the courage to take it.”
I will listen to and discover the needs of others and the places where God is at work.
I will share meals and spend time with people in my life.
I will respond to the needs of others and help them in practical and impactful ways.
I will share the story of Jesus and what He is doing in my life with others.
Making It Personal:
- Have I personally been reconciled to God by trusting in the completed work of Jesus Christ on my behalf?
- How am I living out my calling as an ambassador of Jesus Christ?
- How can I grow in living as an ambassador of Christ through BLESSing others? What will my next steps be?
- Who will I pray for on a regular basis to come to a saving faith in Jesus Christ?
- Who can I share these truths with?