Wonderful Counselor: Someone to Guide Me
December 2, 2018 Speaker: Jeff Bedwell Series: God's Perfect Christmas Gift
Topic: Christmas Passage: Isaiah 9:6–7
God’s Perfect Christmas Gift
Someone To Guide Me
Jesus Christ is God’s perfect Christmas gift to us!
Qualities of The Wonderful Counselor
- He will Listen
“If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened; but God has surely listened and heard my voice in prayer.” (Psalm 66:18–19)
“I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.” (1 John 5:13–14)
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28–30)
- Where in my life do I need to pour out my heart and mind to God’s listening ear?
- He will Understand your situation
“O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord.” (Psalm 139:1–4)
“Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.” (Hebrews 4:13)
- Where in my life do I need God’s perspective and understanding of my situation?
- He will tell you the Truth
“Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6)
““I tell you the truth,” Jesus answered, “this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.”” (Matthew 26:34)
- We don’t always Know the truth
- We don’t always Want to know the truth
- We need to Build our life upon truth
“Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.” (Proverbs 27:6)
- In what situation or circumstance do I need to hear truth from God even if it is uncomfortable?
- He has your best Interest in mind
““The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed,” (Luke 4:18)
“What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?” (Romans 8:31–32)
- How does the understanding that God has my best interest in mind impact the way that I approach God and His commands for my life?
- He will give you Clear Direction
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” (Proverbs 3:5–6)
“The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” (Deuteronomy 31:8)
- Where in my life do I need clear direction from God?
Making It Personal:
- Where in your life do you need the “Wonderful Counselor”?
- How can you best position your life to hear from the “Wonderful Counselor”?
- What relationships in your life may help you to better hear from the “Wonderful Counselor” through the body of Christ?
- Are you available for God to use you to be the living embodiment of the “Wonderful Counselor” in the life of another?
- Who can you share these truths with?
More in God's Perfect Christmas Gift
December 23, 2018Prince of Peace: Someone to Calm Me
December 16, 2018Everlasting Father: Someone to Provide for Me
December 9, 2018Mighty God: Someone to Rescue Me