Know Your Enemy
Passage: 1 Peter 5:8–14
Living God’s Way:
Know Your Enemy:
1 Peter 5:8-14:
Blissful ignorance is not a wise strategy for victory!
Fast Facts About Satan
- He is a Created being
“For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him.” (Colossians 1:16)
- Satan is not Equal with God!
- Satan is not All-Powerful
- Satan is not All-Knowing
- He was an angel who Fell from heaven due to pride
“How you are fallen from heaven, O Day Star, son of Dawn! How you are cut down to the ground, you who laid the nations low! You said in your heart, ‘I will ascend to heaven; above the stars of God I will set my throne on high; I will sit on the mount of assembly in the far reaches of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.’ But you are brought down to Sheol, to the far reaches of the pit.” (Isaiah 14:12–15)
“Now war arose in heaven, Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon. And the dragon and his angels fought back, but he was defeated, and there was no longer any place for them in heaven. And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.” (Revelation 12:7–9)
Demons are evil angels who sinned against God and who now continually work evil in the world
- He exercises Limited power here on earth during the present time.
“We know that we are from God, and the whole world lies in the power of the evil one.” (1 John 5:19)
See Job 1 & 2
“Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat,” (Luke 22:31)
- He is a Defeated foe who will be eternally condemned
“and the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.” (Revelation 20:10)
- Satan and his demons Oppose and try to Destroy every work of God
- He is the Father of lies. John 8:44
- Therefore, his chief enemy is truth - he opposes God's word. Genesis 3:1-5
- He casts doubt on God's goodness. Genesis 3:1-5
- He hinders missions strategy. 1 Thess. 2:18
- He distorts and prevents effective Gospel message. Acts 13:8-9
- He uses the fear of death to hold men in bondage. Hebrews 2:15
- He causes people to stumble over bad Christian attitudes. 2 Tim. 2:24-26
- He blinds the minds of unbelievers. 2 Cor. 4:4
- He exploits a lack of understanding. Mt. 13:19
- He suggests ways that don't involve suffering. Mt. 16:23; Mt. 4:1-11
- He imitates religious roles. 2 Cor. 11:14-15; Mt.13:28,30; Rev. 2:9
- He misuses Scripture. Mt. 4:6
- He imitates signs and wonders. 2 Thess. 2:9; Mk. 13:22
- He offers exotic occult alternatives. Rev. 2:19-24
He attacks faith to destroy believers:
- attacks faith. 1 Thess. 3:5; 2 Cor. 11:3
- brings persecution. Rev. 2:9; 1 Pt. 5:8; Lk. 22:31
- brings sickness. Job 1:11; 2:5; Lk. 13:16.
- dissension over doctrine and causes rifts. 16:17-20
- sexual allurements. 1 Cor. 7:5; 1 Tim. 5:15
- unresolved anger. 2 Cor. 2:11; Eph. 4:27
- pride. 1 Tim. 3:6
How Do I Respond To The Reality Of Satan?
- Be Alert (8)
- Be Submitted and Strong (9)
“But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.” (James 4:6–7)
“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.” (Ephesians 6:10–13)
Resisting Satan Always Begins With Submitting To God!
- Be Confident (10-11)
- Because of God’s Presence
“Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.” (1 John 4:4)
- Because of God’s Promise
“The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.” (Romans 16:20)
- Because of Our Prayers
“And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.” (Matthew 6:13)
Making It Personal
- What has been my understanding of Satan and demons? What needs to be adjusted in light of what the Bible teaches?
- How have I typically responded to Satan? Which of these admonitions from above do I most need to pay attention to going forward?
- Who can I share these truths with?