Living God's Way in the Midst of Suffering
Passage: 1 Peter 4:12–19
Living God’s Way In The Midst of Suffering:
1 Peter 4:12-19:
3 Kinds of Suffering:
- Common suffering - because I am a human being
- Carnal suffering - because I sin (15)
- Christian suffering - because I am a believer
What To Do When Your Faith Is On Trial
- Realize that it is bound to happen (12)
“Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours.” (John 15:20)
“For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.” (Ephesians 6:12)
Rejoice when it does happen (13)
There is a difference between Rejoice & Enjoy
Reasons to Rejoice
- It Draws me closer to Christ.
- It means God's Spirit can be Seen in my life (14)
- It means God Trusts me
“Then they left the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the name.” (Acts 5:41)
Remember the reward I will receive (14)
“For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison,” (2 Corinthians 4:17)
“and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.” (Romans 8:17)
- Refuse to be ashamed (16)
“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:10)
The Antidote To The Fear Of Rejection
- Realize that you don’t need everybody’s Approval to be happy in life
- Be more concerned about what God thinks about you, than what others think about you
- Remain faithful to God (17-19)
- Refining judgement
- Judicial judgement
God is more interested in our Character than our Comfort
Our response is to Entrust ourselves to God for safe keeping
Do people notice Christ in my life?
Have I been ashamed to take a stand?
“For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.” (Romans 1:16)
Making It Personal
- As I think about the suffering that I have or that I am now experiencing in my life, what kind of suffering is it? How should I best respond to God in the midst of this suffering?
- When you are experiencing suffering for your faith, which of the truths that Peter wrote about do you most need to remind yourself of and focus on?
- Practically, what will it look like for you to entrust yourself to God and continue to do good in the midst of suffering?
- Who can I share these truths with?