Living for the Will of God
Passage: 1 Peter 4:1–4:11
Living God’s Way:
Living For The Will of God:
1 Peter 4:1-11:
(Some have taken passages such as 1 Peter 3:18-20 and 1 Peter 4:6 and argued for a belief that Jesus descended into hell between his crucifixion and resurrection. As we make our way through the book of 1 Peter, Pastor Jeff has shared some information about these passages and this question. You can view that information HERE.)
“There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death.” (Proverbs 14:12)
Because of who Jesus is, what Jesus has done and what is to come we live for something greater and higher than “my way” we live for the will of God
Living For The Will of God In Suffering
- Become a person of resolve (1)
“Therefore, since [a]Christ suffered in the flesh [and died for us], arm yourselves [like warriors] with the same purpose [being willing to suffer for doing what is right and pleasing God], because whoever has suffered in the flesh [being like-minded with Christ] is done with [intentional] sin [having stopped pleasing the world], 2 so that he can no longer spend the rest of his natural life living for human appetites and desires, but [lives] for the will and purpose of God.” 1 Peter 4:1-2 (AMP)
- Leave human passions behind (2-3)
- Consider the costs (4)
- People are Surprised
- People will Ridicule
- Remember the final accounting (5-6)
- Judgement for unbelievers
- Hope through the gospel
Living For The Will of God In The Church
A powerful answer to a world increasing in hostility to the way of God and the people of God is living a life of love and loyalty within the body of Christ.
- Think and live Wisely (7)
- Notice the connection with Prayer
- Love one another (8)
- Sincere, real, genuine
“Where love abounds in a fellowship of Christians, many small offenses, and even some large ones, are overlooked and forgotten. But where love is lacking, every word is viewed with suspicion, every action is liable to misunderstanding, and conflicts abound” Wayne Grudem
- Practice hospitality joyfully (9)
To be hospitable means to share what God has given to us with others including our home, our meals, our resources, and our very lives.
- Serve one another (10-11a)
Two Broad Categories:
Why Live For The Will of God?
To bring God Glory for He is Worthy! (11)
“So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” (1 Corinthians 10:31)
“For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.” (Romans 11:36)
Making It Personal
- Allow God’s Spirit to speak to you about how you are living your life right now? Is it more about living “my way” or living for the Lord’s will? How is that evidenced in your life?
- Review the four points under living for the will of God in suffering. Which of these are you living out strongly right now? Which of these do you need to grow in right now?
- Review the four points under living for the will of God in the church. Which of these are you living out strongly right now? Which of these do you need to grow in right now?
- What can you do to keep the worth of God before you on a regular basis? What will it look like for you to increasingly live for His glory?
- Who can I share these truths with?