Who Do You Think You Are?
April 22, 2018 Speaker: Jeff Bedwell Series: Living God's Way
Passage: 1 Peter 2:4–10
Living God’s Way
Who Do You Think You Are? 1 Peter 2:4-10
Satan’s formula for your self-esteem:
Self-Worth = Performance + Other’s Opinions
The truest thing about you is what God says about you!
As A Part Of God’s Family (9-10)
- I am Accepted "chosen race"
“Therefore welcome one another as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.” (Romans 15:7)
“For my father and my mother have forsaken me, but the Lord will take me in.” (Psalm 27:10)
- I am Needed "a royal priesthood”
As A Believer
- I have Direct Access to God
- I represent God before People
- I am gifted for Ministry to serve others
“As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace:” (1 Peter 4:10)
“To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.” (1 Corinthians 12:7)
- I am Valued "a holy nation, a people for his own possession"
What Determines Value?
- What somebody is willing to Pay for something
- Who has owned it in the past
“for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.” (1 Corinthians 6:20)
- I am Forgiven "you have received mercy”
“to open their eyes, so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.’” (Acts 26:18)
These Truths Are For Members of God’s Family (4-8)
Old Covenant – Had a Physical Temple
New Covenant – God is building a Spiritual House
- Jesus Christ: The Cornerstone (4-6)
(See also Isaiah 28:16 & Ephesians 2:20)
- Living – Source of life
- Chosen – By God even if rejected by men
- Precious – Honored or prized
- The Accepters: Who are also Living Stones (5-7)
- Experience Honor not Shame
- Offer Spiritual Sacrifices
“Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.” (Hebrews 13:15–16)
“I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.” (Romans 12:1)
- The Rejecters: Those Who Stumble (7-8)
(See also Psalm 118:22 & Isaiah 8:14)
- Offended by Jesus
- Disobedient to the word
The truest thing about me is what God says about me!
The truth about me is dependent upon what I do with the truth about Jesus!
Making It Personal
- How have I responded to the truth about Jesus?
- In what ways have I bought in to Satan’s formula for my self-worth?
- Which truth of my identity as a part of God’s family is the most difficult for me to truly believe and internalize?
- What can I do on a regular basis to replace the lies of culture and the enemy with God’s truth about who I am in Christ Jesus?
- Who can I share these truths with?
More in Living God's Way
July 15, 2018Know Your Enemy
July 8, 2018Improving Your Impact
July 1, 2018Living God's Way in the Midst of Suffering