A Contrite Heart
Passage: 2 Samuel 11–12
Developing a Heart Like God’s
A Contrite Heart
2 Samuel 11-12
(To download and print blank sermon notes to complete while you listen, click HERE.)
“Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall.” (1 Corinthians 10:12)
Four Crossroads in David’s Journey
1. The Spiritual Drift Factor (11:1-2)
Whatever was going on in David’s life at this time, David didn’t Go To The Lord With It
Could it be that David did not Trust that God really did have David’s best interest at heart? (12:7-8)
2. A Spiritual Warning Light (11:3-4)
God in His Grace will often send a warning across our paths.
How do you respond to these gracious warnings from your Heavenly Father?
Notice The Progression Of David’s Sin:
Sin will always take you farther than you want to go; cost you more than you want to pay and leave you emptier than you ever dreamed possible!
3. An Attempted Cover-up (11:5-27)
Sin is like a Disease/Cancer; it spreads, it multiplies, it begins to impact the lives of others.
Uriah’s Integrity should have been another warning light to David in his downward spiral.
How many lives were damaged or destroyed because of David’s actions?
David’s sin was taking a toll Internally
“For when I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer.”
4. A Loving Confrontation (12:1-14)
David had been trying to live a lie; but he couldn’t escape the Truth (11:27 & 12:7, 9)
God may want to use someone to speak into your life; God may want to use you to speak into someone else’s life!
Four Marks of Genuine Repentance
1. A Complete Admission (12:13)
“I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,’ and you forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah” (Psalm 32:5)
“For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment.” (Psalm 51:3–4)
2. A Broken/Contrite Heart
“The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.” (Psalm 51:17)
3. A Desire To Make A Complete Break From Our Sin
“Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit. Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will return to you.” (Psalm 51:10–13)
4. A Willingness To Receive Forgiveness
“Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin!” (Psalm 51:1–2)
“Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.” (Psalm 51:7)
“In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace,” (Ephesians 1:7)
A Neglected Truth: Confession and forgiveness does not automatically Stop The Harvest
“Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.” (Galatians 6:7–8)
The pain of the harvest always eclipses the pleasure of the planting!
Making It Personal
- Are there any signs of spiritual drift that are becoming evident in your life? What do you need to do to intercept the drift?
- How are you responding to the warning lights God may be sending into your life at this time?
- Are there any areas of sin that you are seeking to deny or cover up?
- Who has God sent across your path in a loving confrontation? Is God sending you as an instrument of loving confrontation in someone else’s life?
- Is there something in your life that God is calling you to turn from in repentance and trust again in the forgiveness and leadership of Jesus Christ?