The Disciple's Relationships
October 11, 2015 Speaker: Jeff Bedwell Series: Follow Me
Passage: Colossians 3:1–17
The Disciple’s Relationships
Colossians 3: 1-17
(To download and print blank sermon notes to complete while you listen, click HERE.)
Everything Christ does In me is intended to affect everyone Christ puts Around me
Christ Transforms Our Relationships as We
1. Understand the New Identity we have in Christ (1-4)
- We Died with Christ
- We Live in Christ
- He is our life Now
“For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” (Philippians 1:21)
- He is our life Forever
“And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.” (Romans 8:30)
Our calling is to live out of our new identity in Jesus Christ!
2. Leave behind the Habits we had before Christ (5-9)
- We put to death sins that destroy Us
- Is my Body consecrated to God?
- Is my Mind clean before God?
- Are my Desires controlled by God?
- Is my Heart content in God
- We put to death sins that damage Others
- Do I harbor Bitterness?
- Am I quick to Anger?
- Do I have Hostility toward anyone?
- Do I ever speak Negatively about anyone?
- Are my words Offensive to others?
- Do I ever Misrepresent the truth?
- Why we put them to death (6-7, 9)
- They bring God’s Wrath
- They betray God’s Salvation
3. Live in the Character we received from Christ (10-17)
We are to not only be Recipients of God’s grace, but Reproducers of His grace
- We extend the Grace of Christ to others
- Do I show great Compassion to others?
- Does my Kindness spur others toward Christ?
- Am I exhibiting Humility in my relationships?
- Do I relate to others Gently?
- Am I Patient with others?
- Do I endure Hardships in my relationships?
- Do I Forgive others?
- Does genuine Love permeate my relationships?
- We live out the Peace of Christ among others
- We display Gratitude toward Christ with others
- We share the Word of Christ with others
- We honor the Name of Christ before others
Everything Christ does in me is intended to affect everyone Christ puts around me
So What Do I Do In Response?
- Identify one or more facets of your relationships with others that you want Christ to transform.
- Ask God to empower you to leave behind the habits of your old life and enable you to live out the character of Christ in these specific facets of your relationship this week.
- Identify and enlist at least one other person that can pray with you and walk with you as you grow in these specific facets of your relationships.
- Commit or recommit your life to a small group of people where you can honor Christ through your relationships with one another.
More in Follow Me
October 18, 2015The Disciple's Mission
October 4, 2015The Disciple's Will
September 27, 2015The Disciple's Emotions