The Magnetism of Unity
Scripture: John 17:9–17:26
THE MAGNETISM OF UNITY
Download blank sermon notes to print and complete HERE!
LESSONS FROM JOHN 17:9-26
1. Jesus wants us (believers) to be unified (v. 11, 21-23)
- Unity does not equal uniformity
- We are to be unified in mind and mission
- Unity requires me to play my role
2. Jesus wants us to be unified with the Father ( 9-10, 21)
3. We are in the World, but not of the World. (14-18)
- Jesus knowingly sends us where we will be hated.
- We cannot love the world and the Father (1 John 2:15)
4. Jesus wants us to be kept from the evil one (15)
- The evil one:
- Seeks someone to devour (1 Peter 5:8)
- Is a murderer, father of lies (John 8:44)
- Comes to steal, kill, and destroy (John 10:10)
- Deceiver of the whole world (Revelation 12:9)
- The whole world lies in his power (1 John 5:19)
- The evil one wants the church to be divided.
5. Jesus wants us to be sanctified in the truth (17-19)
- To be sanctified is to be set apart or made holy.
- Sanctification is a position and a process.
- One primary way we are sanctified is through the knowing and practicing Truth.
6. Jesus wants the world to know him. (18-21)
- The “So that” statements indicate purpose.
- Just like Jesus, we have been sent for a purpose.
UNITY IS MAGNETIC
If we are unified in our mission, it will be a magnetic force that draws people to believe in Jesus.
1. The price of not being unified
- The consequences are eternal
- Enemies of unity:
2. Four ways to develop unity:
- Develop unity with the Father
- Sanctifying ourselves in the Truth
There is no place for pride in the presence of the Father.
- Practice unity in community (Ephesians 4:1-16)
- Stay on mission
THREE BIG QUESTIONS:
- As part of the FBCFM family, am I seeking to increase our unity? Am I doing anything to hurt our unity? How?
- As part of the FBCFM family, am I taking more than I am giving? What needs to change?
- As I look at the “4 Ways to Develop Unity,” how can I take another step in developing unity at FBCFM?