Conflict Reducing Attitudes
Passage: 1 Peter 3:8–3:12
Living God’s Way:
Conflict Reducing Attitudes:
1 Peter 3:8-12:
Our attitude goes a long way in determining the quality of our relationships with people!
“Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another;” (1 Peter 3:8, NIV84)
Six Conflict Reducing Attitudes
“Sharing the same feeling”
“For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.” (Hebrews 4:15)
“Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger;” (James 1:19)
- Seeing someone else’s situation from their perspective
- Sharing their emotions
“Be devoted to one another in brotherly love.” (Romans 12:10)
“Love bears all things,” (1 Corinthians 13:7)
“Therefore welcome one another as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.” (Romans 15:7)
“Let’s stop attacking each other and let’s attack the problem”
We Express Compassion By:
- What we Say
“Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.” (Ephesians 4:29)
- What we Do
“Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.” (1 John 3:18)
Humility is seeing myself as God sees me no more and no less!
“When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom.” (Proverbs 11:2)
“Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.” (Philippians 2:3)
Four Helpful Phrases:
- I was Wrong
- I need your Help
- I’m Sorry
- Please Forgive Me
“bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.” (Colossians 3:13)
“it keeps no record of wrongs.” (1 Corinthians 13:5)
Three Levels Of Living
- Satanic level – Evil for good
- Human level – Evil for evil
- Divine level – Good for evil
You can grow Old in the Lord without growing Up in the Lord!
- Tame your tongue
- Replace evil with good
- Pursue peace
Two Areas of Payoff:
- Our relationships with Others
- Our relationship with God
Making It Personal
- Which of these attitudes comes most easily for me in the relationships of my life? How does it benefit me and others?
- Which of these attitudes do I struggle with the most in the relationships of my life? What is it costing me and others?
- What things can I intentionally do to grow in at least one of these attitudes over the next 90 days? How will this growth show up in the relationships of my life?
- Who can I share these truths with?