Our Integrity and Our Influence
Passage: 1 Peter 2:11–2:25
Living God’s Way:
Our Integrity And Our Influence:
1 Peter 2:11-25
A Christian is to be an instrument that publicizes the attributes and character of God!
How To Live With Integrity And Influence
- Stay Away From Temptation (11-12)
- God’s beloved Children
- Resident aliens
- Soldiers involved in a spiritual battle
- Witnesses to a lost world
Christian freedom is not freedom to do as we like, but to do as we ought (16)
You are either a Bible or a Liable for the name of Christ!
- Submit To Authority For The Lord’s Sake (13-18)
The Application of Submission (17)
- Show respect for everybody
- Love Christians everywhere
- Honor the government
- Shine in the workplace (18)
Yes, But How?
Honor the Position, not the Personality
What if the authority tells me to disobey God?
Our first Allegiance is to God
Submission sometimes means being willing to suffer the penalty for doing the right thing!
- Seek God In Suffering (19-25)
Nothing reveals our character like problems and pain
3 “Pictures” Of Jesus
- He is our Example in His life (21-23)
- He is our Substitute in His death (24)
- He is our watchful Shepherd in heaven (25)
As We Submit and Obey We Discover…
It is not just for the Lord’s sake…
It is not just for the sake of others…
It is also for our own sake..
That we might become more like Christ!
“And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.” (Romans 8:28–29)
Making It Personal
- Practically in my life right now, what would it look like for me to stay away from temptation?
- Where in my life do I struggle with submitting to authority? Practically, how can I submit to authority and keep my primary allegiance to God?
- How can I seek God in the midst of suffering?
- Where is God at work in my life right now conforming me to the image of Jesus Christ?
- Am I truly a child of God through repentance and faith in Jesus Christ?
- Who can I share these truths with?