Joy on the Job
Passage: Philippians 2:19–2:30
Joy On The Job:
Too many people spend their work careers frustrated and dissatisfied
(To download and print blank sermon notes to complete while you listen, click HERE.)
How To Find Joy On The Job
- Take A Genuine Interest in Others (19-21)
What if you work where you work because God Sent You There?
- “God what do you want me to do here?
- “God who do you want to minister to here?
- Learn From Others (22-24)
Two Things That Happen As I Work With Others:
- I Prove myself
- I Prepare myself
- Work Well With Others (25)
Every job involves relationships!
- Brother – The Concern of a brother
- Fellow Worker – The Effort of a laborer
- Fellow Soldier – The Fight of a soldier
- Celebrate The Contributions Of Others (25b-30)
“your messenger” is the word Apostle
“minister or take care of” is the word Liturgy
Worship is not just done in a “worship service” but also takes place when we Serve God by Serving others
Note: Epaphroditus was willing to Risk in obedience to the Lord!
You may have to step away from your Security in order to step toward your Destiny
How do you find joy in a difficult or unsatisfying job?
Recognize that it is God’s will for you to:
- Grow through the challenges and difficulties
- Minister to those around you
- Witness to the difference that Jesus can make in a life
“Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men,”
Our main motivation should not be the Human Eye that is upon us, but the Heart that is within us
“The work of a Beethoven and the work of a janitor become spiritual on precisely the same condition, that of being offered to God, of being done humbly ‘as to the Lord.’” C.S. Lewis
Making It Personal:
- What will it look like for you to “work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men”? What difference will it make in your approach to work this week?
- Where is God wanting to grow you through work related challenges?
- Who would God have you to minister to in your work environment?
- How will you represent Christ in your work environment this week?
- Who can you share these truths with?