Joy in My Circumstances
Passage: Philippians 1:12–1:30
Joy in My Circumstances:
Joy is not a set of Happy Circumstances
Joy is discovered through My Focus
(To download and print blank sermon notes to complete while you listen, click HERE.)
Four Focuses I Can Choose In
The Midst of My Circumstances:
- Look beyond the Circumstances to see God’s Results (12-14)
“Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.” (James 1:2–3)
“Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope,” (Romans 5:3–4)
Jesus didn’t come into the world primarily to make my life Pleasant, but to give my life Purpose
Paul saw two results of his chains:
- Evangelism – The imperial guard
- Encouragement – Other believers
Note: This was not Paul’s plan!
- Look beyond the Personalities to see the Priorities (15-18)
There will always be those who operate out of Hurt and Sin rather than love and faith
Paul Models for Us Two Helpful Responses:
- Remember the Encouragers
- Remember what’s Really Important
The most important thing in life is not Pleasing People, but Pleasing the one who gave his life for us
- Look beyond the Temporary to see the Eternal (19-26)
“For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.” (2 Corinthians 4:17–18)
- A Passionate love for Christ
- An Unselfish love for others
There will be no sustained joy in my life unless I can answer “Yes” to two key questions:
- Can I face life with Purpose?
- Can I face death with Confidence?
- Look beyond the Challenges to see the Opportunities (27-30)
The good news is more than a message it is a Lifestyle
This is not legalistically obeying moral laws, but it is displaying the spirit and love of Jesus Christ in every circumstance and every relationship!
Four Lifestyle Choices:
“standing firm in one spirit” – I will continue to Trust
“striving side by side for the faith” - I will not concede to Criticism
“not frightened in anything by your opponents” – I will not be controlled by Fear
“suffer for his sake” – I will not be confused by Suffering
Believers have two privileges:
- To Believe on him
- To Suffer for him
The Cross of Jesus is the perfect example of these truths
“looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.” (Hebrews 12:2)
Making It Personal:
- Can I face life with purpose? Can I face death with confidence?
- What circumstances are draining my “joy level” right now?
- How can I “look beyond” to refocus my heart and mind?
- Who can I share these truths with?