Joy in My Relationships
Joy in My Relationships:
God designed us not just to Endure life, but to Enjoy life
Some Important Clarifications:
- Joy is not about our Circumstances
- Joy is not a Personality
- Joy is a Choice
- Joy flows from our Relationship with Christ
“These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.” (John 15:11)
“for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”” (Nehemiah 8:10)
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy…,” (Galatians 5:22)
Introductory Matters (1-2):
- Overseers and deacons
Finding Joy In My Relationships
- Put others in your Thoughts (3-6)
- Caring thoughts
- Thankful thoughts
- Joyful thoughts
- Confident thoughts
His confidence was in the Lord
Notice his use of the word: All
What kind of thoughts do your typically have towards people?
When was the last time you thanked God for another person?
- Put others in your Heart (7-8)
Word affection here is literally: Bowels/Intestines
“Koinonia” (5,7) – Fellowship/Partnership
- From the gospel
- For the gospel
Fellowship is more than Friendship
The source of true fellowship is Jesus Christ (8)
Are you opening up your heart to people?
- Put others in your Prayers (4, 9-11)
What do I pray about?
- For their Growth in love
- For their Choices
Often our challenging choices are not between good and bad, but between good, better and best.
- For their Character
- Purity: Sun Tested
- Blameless: Not causing others to stumble
- For their Fruitfulness
- From Jesus Christ
- For God’s Glory
Who are you praying for? How are you praying for them?
Who is praying for you? How will you ask them to pray for you?
Our relationships can be a source of incredible irritation or a source of incredible joy!
God has given us the capacity to choose to Increase The Joy.
“As I remember your tears, I long to see you, that I may be filled with joy.” (2 Timothy 1:4)
“For I have derived much joy and comfort from your love, my brother” (Philemon 7)
“I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.” (3 John 4)
Making It Personal:
- Do you personally know the joy that comes from a relationship with Jesus Christ?
- What is the “joy level” in your relationships lately?
- What kind of thoughts do your typically have towards people? When was the last time you thanked God for another person?
- Are you opening up your heart to people?
- Who are you praying for? How are you praying for them? Who is praying for you? How will you ask them to pray for you?