When God Asks You to Attempt the Impossible
Passage: Luke 1:26–1:56
When God Asks You To Attempt the Impossible
Fear can keep us from experiencing God’s best in our lives
We will live life focusing on our Fears or focusing on God in Faith
Clearing Up a Few Misconceptions about Mary
- Mary was not Sinless
- Mary is not a Mediator between God and humans
- Mary is not to be Worshipped or Prayed To
- Mary is a great Example of someone who moved past her fears and believed God for the impossible
In Order to Experience God’s Best in My Life, I Must…
1. Push Past my fears (26-30)
- Fear of Criticism
- Fear of the Supernatural
- Fear of Inadequacy
- Fear of Change
What fears may be keeping me from experiencing God’s best in my life?
2. Decide to pay the cost (31-33, 38)
- It cost Mary her Reputation
- It cost Mary her Comfort
- It brought new Problems into her life
“Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple. For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it?” (Luke 14:27–28)
What am I willing to give up in order to experience God’s best in my life?
3. Dare to trust His promises (34-37)
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is moving forward in spite of your fears. It’s facing your fears. (45)
Instead of worry, Mary Worshipped (46-55)
Instead of panicking, Mary Praised and Prayed
“What is impossible with man is possible with God.” (Luke 18:27)
Where is God calling me to trust Him?
4. Desire to do His will (46-48)
Mary Displayed 2 Key Attitudes:
“I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.” (Psalm 40:8)
“So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him.” (2 Corinthians 5:9)
Questions for Reflection:
- God, what do you want to do in my life today?
- What desires is God placing on my heart and life?
- What fears may be keeping me from experiencing God’s best in my life right now?
- What am I willing to give up in order to experience God’s best in my life?
- Where is God calling me to trust Him?
More in Fear Not
December 20, 2015When Obeying God Leads Us into the Unknown